EU-IOM Joint Initiative: Fostering Strong Partnerships For Sustainable Reintegration
Every year, thousands of migrants in Africa embark on dangerous journeys to cross the Mediterranean, many with little knowledge of the risks ahead. They often become stranded along migration routes and find themselves unable to continue their journey. Far from home and with no money, they are faced with difficult choices in order to survive or continue their journey. Some become victims of criminal networks and are subject to trafficking.
On 25 May, Africa Day, the INTPA InfoPoint will host an online screening of a new video documentary which shows how the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration works to save lives, protect and assists migrants all along the migration routes, with migrant rights upheld. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion and Q&A with the audience illustrating how the EU-IOM Joint Initiative supports sustainable reintegration, promoting local leadership of reintegration support, capacity building of state and non-state actors, and strengthening of migration governance coordination mechanisms.
Launched in December 2016, with support from the EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa, the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration brings together 26 African countries of the Sahel and Lake Chad region, the Horn of Africa, and North Africa, the EU and IOM around the shared goal of ensuring that migration is safer, more informed and better governed for both migrants and their communities.
- Hans Stausboll, Head of Regional and Multi Country Programmes for Africa Unit, INTPA A2, European Commission
- Ola Henrikson, Regional Director, IOM Regional Office for the EU, Norway and Switzerland
- Issiaka Konaté, Director General, General Direction of Ivorians Abroad, Ivory Coast
- Marina Schramm, Chief of Mission, IOM Ivory Coast
- Sadiyo Siad, Chancellor, Hano Academy, Somalia
- Nourredine Khaled, President, Algerian Association of Psychologists, Algeria
- Victoria Garcia Guillen, Cooperation Officer, Regional and Multi Country Programmes for Africa Unit, INTPA A2, European Commission
Date: 25/05/2021 - 11:00 to 12:30
Venue: DG INTPA External Cooperation Infopoint, Virtual Conference via Webex Meetings
Registration for this event is closed.